Activities in Oberstdorf and surrounding region
In summer we offer a wide variety of things to do in the beautiful Allgäu region with its breathtaking mountain panoramas and the lush-green meadows. You can enjoy:
- Hiking in the Oberstdorf region. We have over 200 km of well developed walking and hiking trails. The popular E5 European long distance path that stretches over the Alps into Italy also starts here.
- Climbing in the mountains or even if it rains, you still don’t have to stop climbing. You can instead visit the indoor climbing facility in the sport’s centre Eissportzentrum Oberstdorf which has a climbing surface on offer of 270 square metres and 15 metres in height.
- Cycling on unforgettable, diverse and, depending on the level, unforgettable cycling tours
- Swimming in the beautiful lakes or outdoor swimming pools
- Golf. You can play round in Golfclub Oberstdorf e. V. for example. The course is
900 metres above sea-level and offers players an enjoyable and equally challenging golfing experience on narrow fairways and well-kept roughs.
You can get further information on renting bicycles, further golf courses in the region and cycling routes at our reception.
In winter the largest ski-arena in Germany is directly outside our front door. It has a wide array of different activities for winter-sports enthusiasts...
- Different slopes for skiers and snowboarders
- 85 km of cross-country skiing trails in all difficulty levels are on offer in Oberstdorf.
- The trails are set by a snow groomer.
- Snowshoe hiking or tobogganing
- Fellhorn fun park
- Night-time skiing on the Nebelhorn, the highest mountain in Allgäu with fantastic panoramas over the Allgäu, Swiss and Austrian Alps.
You can get more information on renting skis and snowboards, ski passes and the mountain railway at our reception.
We nurture and celebrate a lot of traditions here in Allgäu:
- The Viehscheid cattle drive is a special tradition in Allgäu, which is known well beyond the region itself. It attracts thousands of interested spectators every year in September. The cattle are decorated with wreaths and bells and are driven from the Alpine pastures, the Almen, back down into the valley. This is then celebrated in a festival tent.
- First ski jumping of the Four-Hills Tournament at the end of December.
- The Wilde-Männle-Tanz, a dance that is a further attraction that has been performed in
- Oberstdorf for millennia, and which takes place every five years.
- Oberstdorfer Musiksommer [Oberstdorf summer of music]: an absolute must for music lovers with its excellent programme.
You can get more information on the events at our reception.
￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼There is so much to experience in and around Oberstdorf for both big and small:
- Vitalterme with its fantastic wave pool, mother-and-child section, natural-brine – spa water and sauna facilities.
- The Heimat-Museum [Local History Museum] in an old farm house in Oberstdorf or in Gerstruben
- The Breitachklamm [Breitach Gorge] is a very special natural spectacle. It is the deepest and also the most beautiful rocky gorge in Central Europe.
- The world famous royal castles Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau located nearby are also something not to be missed.